Saturday, September 12, 2009

Arrival

Sawatdii kaa! (Hello!) I’m here! I finally arrived in Mae Sot after two flights, two taxi rides, and an overnight bus from Bangkok to Mae Sot. The whole trip took almost 48 hours, but thankfully our family friends the Wolfes, who live in Bangkok, took me in before my bus ride to Mae Sot so I could shower and catch up on sleep.



While in Bangkok, I got my first Thai massage and also made my first cultural boo-boo: attempting to bring my shoes into the massage room. Lesson learned: always take your shoes off when entering someone’s home or workplace! (and that includes my guest house—it took me a little while to figure that out too). I attempted to learn some Thai on the plane, but the accent and tones are so difficult that it will definitely take some time and practice with native speakers. As I traveled north towards Mae Sot away from Bangkok, the language barrier became more apparent. I attempted to tell the tuk-tuk (think motorcycle attached to a cart with makeshift benches) driver at the Mae Sot bus station the name of my guest house (Phannu), and he looked at me questioningly. I had to show him a piece of paper with the name written on it before he understood. Apparently, “ph” is pronounced “p”, not “f”! I am learning.



Mae Sot itself has a bustling city center with a constant stream of car, motorbike, and bicycle traffic. There is a wide range of shops and restaurants, from electronic stores and 7-11s (there are two!) to authentic Thai food stalls where you can buy incredible Thai food for around 25 baht (about 75 cents). And for the westerners that are around, which is quite a few, there are several coffee shops serving coffee, pancakes, and eggs, and some restaurants with pizza, pasta, even burgers. Last night I had an Oreo ice cream sundae! I am a bit surprised at all that you can buy and do here. I learned recently that there are two gyms in town and pick-up frisbee on Saturdays. I’m excited to check it out!



With directions from GHAP staff, I was able to navigate to the bike “store” on the first day I was here, and purchased a fashionable red bike replete with a fashionable basket, a necessity for getting around Mae Sot. In an instant, I was mobile! (Don’t worry Mom and Dad, I am wearing a helmet, unlike the majority of the Mae Sot bike-riding population) The semi-nice work clothes I brought with me, however, seem very unnecessary now, as I’m pretty much dripping with sweat everywhere I bike. It is HOT! My air conditioned room at my guest house is, I have learned, a rarity, so I am enjoying every minute of it while it lasts.



I had dinner with the other GHAP “fellows” on the first night I was here (that will be my title as well), and have been getting to know them and the GHAP staff that are in town over the past few days. They seem to be a very interesting and fun group to work with. Tonight we have a dinner for all the GHAP staff and fellows that are in town, to be followed by orientation for the three new fellows on Sunday morning. I’ll write more next week about the work, a bit of which I have already started. I will say, however, that I have already met with one of GHAP’s local Burmese partners, the Karen Department of Health and Welfare (KDHW), with whom I will be working on programs. I thought that I would be learning Thai, and a little Burmese for work, but it turns out that everyone’s first language at KDHW is Karen, the local ethnic language of Karen state in southern Burma (many of them also speak very good English). So I have yet to decide how I’m going to attempt to breach the many language barriers in Mae Sot, but I’ll keep you posted.



As for those of you wondering how I’m surviving while eating Thai food, I have two words for you: “mai pet” (“not spicy”). Most of you know that I’m not a very adventurous eater and was a bit nervous about liking Thai food, but without chilies, I have found that everything I have tried is delicious! As for cooking…well, that’s another bridge that I’ve yet to cross.

Until next time,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment